Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Desjardins Insurance. All opinions are my own.
We love to travel and have taken some long distance road trips in the winter. Driving in severe weather conditions can be scary and dangerous. You should know the safety rules for coping with winter roadside emergencies and always be cautious while driving in severe weather.
Long Distance Winter Driving Tips
- Watch the weather reports before heading out on a long-distance road trip.
- When bad weather is expected, delay your trip. If you have to leave, let family members know your route and estimated time of arrival.
- Always make sure your vehicle is in good working condition, by having it inspected at an approved auto repair facility.
- Maintain at least half a tank of gas in your vehicle at all times.
- Pack a cell phone, medications, blankets, warm outdoor clothing and plenty of food and water in your vehicle.
- If you become snowbound, stay in your vehicle. It will provide you with temporary shelter.
- Don’t over exert yourself, if you try to dig your vehicle out of the snow.
- Tie a neon coloured cloth to the antenna to signal distress.
- Make sure your exhaust pipe isn’t blocked with snow. If your exhaust pipe is blocked, it could cause carbon monoxide to leak into the passenger compartment when the engine is running.
- Run the engine and heater just long enough to remove the chill and try to conserve gas, until help arrives.
Win Free Gas for A Year!
In an effort to simplify your winter driving, Desjardins Insurance has decided to give a lucky winner a year’s worth of gas, so you can always keep your tank full. All you have to do to qualify is simply get an online quote for your insurance needs.
Desjardins Insurance has the right coverage to help you protect the things that matter most to you. And now, for a limited time, you could be entered to win FREE GAS for a year when you complete an online quote. It’s quick and easy – and you can see just how much you can save with a Desjardins Agent.
- Click “Get a Quote” and complete the form.
Contest closes December 17th, 2018 at 11:59 am EST.
This contest is open to Alberta, Ontario and New Brunswick residents only. No purchase necessary. See full Contest Rules.